From the homepage:
An open-source distributed database built with love.
Enjoy an intuitive query language, automatically parallelized queries, and simple administration.
Table joins and batteries included.
and the overview:
RethinkDB is built to store JSON documents, and scale to multiple machines with very little effort. It has a pleasant query language that supports really useful queries like table joins and group by, and is easy to setup and learn.
Simple programming model:
- JSON data model and immediate consistency.
- Distributed joins, subqueries, aggregation, atomic updates.
- Hadoop-style map/reduce.
- Friendly web and command-line administration tools.
- Takes care of machine failures and network interrupts.
- Multi-datacenter replication and failover.
- Sharding and replication to multiple nodes.
- Queries are automatically parallelized and distributed.
- Lock-free operation via MVCC concurrency.
Just once I would like to see a software release where the feature list reads:
<humor>Job Security – Never mentioned by “easy to learn” software packages. Our software is a stone cold bitch to learn. The usual ‘hello world” takes the better part of a day. But, who wants to write “hello world?”
Once you do learn it, it has more power than native C code and is faster. Are you a top gun programmer or a script kiddie? We write software for the former, not the latter.
Probably not going to happen.
BTW, at this time ReThinkDB does not support secondary indexes. But the way the documentation reads, that doesn’t sound like a permanent condition.
Could be useful for some cases and certainly will be.